Lake Greeson History

 

Lake Greeson History

 

Lake Greeson in Arkansas was authorized by the Flood Control Act of 18 August 1941, Public Law 228, 77th Congress, 1st Session, as amended by the Flood Control Act of 22 December 1944.

The authorized purpose of Lake Greeson was flood control and hydroelectric power production. This authority was amended by Section 4 of the Flood Control Act of 1944 to include public recreation on these projects. Authority to construct, maintain, and operate public parks and recreational facilities at water resource development projects under the control of the Department of the Army was granted under section 207 of the Flood Control Act of 1962.

Completed in 1951, Narrows Dam backed the waters of the Little Missouri River 12 miles up the narrow valley of the Arkansas foothills in the Ouachita Mountains. The creeks that had formerly fed the Little Missouri River had their lower valleys flooded as well, forming coves on the lake that became known by the creeks' names, among them Self, Laurel, Cowhide, Bear, Rock, Parker and Little Creek.

Martin White Greeson, a Clinton native and lawyer who moved to Prescott in 1888. Around 1900, he begun working to secure a Little Missouri dam. Congressional approval of the project came 41 years later, though construction didn't begin until 1948. Martin Greeson died the next year, before Narrows Dam was finished, but in 1952 Congress gave the resulting 7,000-acre lake his name.

Copyright lakegreeson.org
All Rights Reserved Worldwide

 

Home

Lake Greeson
in Pictures

Lake Greeson
Information Center

 Camp Sites
on Lake Greeson

Lake Greeson
Resorts

Arkansas State Park
 on Lake Greeson

Lake Greeson
  Narrows Dam

Lake Greeson
Fishing

Lake Greeson
 Hunting

Lake Greeson
Map

Lake Greeson
Black Bass

History of
 Lake Greeson